Friday, June 8, 2007

One step closer to a trial

I made the first cut for one of the trials. This is a good thing since time seems to be ticking by quickly. My blood passed the test and now they need a tumor block to see if my cancer overexpresses P53. They actually divide your tumors up into blocks and keep them forever. Luckily the nurse at my clinic is helping me gather all this stuff. It not as easy as you would think to get your records and your own tumor. It sounds like we need to fax some paperwork back forth today before the lab with release the tumor block. Once the tumor arrives in Bethesda it will take about 2 weeks to test it. I'm still working o some other trial oprions as a back up or if this wone does not give me a positive response.

My darling daughter graduated last night!!! There is another graduation ceremony today at her other school today. I thought I would have been long done with cancer by the time this day came. So much for strating my new life now that she is an adult.

4 comments:

Kay said...

Jill, when I was first diagnosed my son was 12. Now he is 22. This is my 2nd marriage so my husband and I started with a family - my daughter. We use to tease each other that our true courtship will be when our kids were grown. Last year when I was diagnosed for the 3rd time with breast cancer mets to the bone, I felt the same way. I felt cheated out of life and my "alone" time with my husband. Well screw cancer. It may not be exactly the way I had planned life, but I am not going to allow cancer to steal this time from me. I will make every moment count (teeth gritted in pain). I have shifted gears and I use my :good days: to the max, Good luck in finding a trial. I am waiting to hear if I have been approved for a medication....my last "chance".

Anonymous said...

Good luck on getting into the trial. I think that BRCA cancers are more likely to overexpress P53. I read the info and it looks promising.

Jon

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill-

I have seen your posts on breastcancer.org. I am praying that you will find a treatment that works.

Melanie

Anonymous said...

I think you have a good chance of getting into the trial. I found this:

The clinical presentation of breast cancer in women with BRCA-1/2 mutations differs from its presentation among women in the general population. Women with mutations are more likely to present with high-grade and estrogen-receptor-negative tumors. They are also more likely to harbor somatic mutations in the p53 gene. All of these features are associated with a greater propensity to relapse and a worse prognosis.

from:
Weber B. Update of BRCA-1 and BRCA-2 basic and clinical research. Plenary Lecture IV. 21st Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, San Antonio, TX, 1998.

Jerry