Monday, June 11, 2007

What is up with the Mayo Clinic?

I called the Mayo Clinic since there is one close to me. They had their doc review my info and they told me that there was no standard treatment that they could recommend but they would refer me to their phase I office. Today(almost three weeks later) I received a call and they would like me to come down next week for an appointment. They will not give me any information on what trials they might have. She said that I need to be "fully screened" and this would require anything from a 4 hour to a three day appointment - and I will not know until I get started. She said that I would need to hand carry all my records, scans and a tumor block and that they would need to retest my blood and do another scan even though I just had these done. She also told me that it is possible that my insurance may not cover them if I just had them done and they would expect me to pay. If this wasn't the Mayo Clinic I would think this was a scam.

The good news is that the hospital decided to release a tumor block to NCI , so they can test me for the gene therapy trial. THis took more than one week of aggravation. Give me my damn tumor!!

No comments: