Friday, June 1, 2007

what they don't talk to you about....

I am surprised at the things that my doctor (or anyone in my clinic) have never discussed with me in the more than two years that I have been doing this Cancer thing. I have seen two different postings on the wall for support groups (one for newly diagnossed and one for metastatic) but no one has ever recommended then to me, asked if I had a support group or wanted to get hooked up with one. They like to ask the question " coping" ? yes, it's a one work question to which I always give a one word answer "good or fine" . The nurses type in the computer after they ask. Recently the docs new nurse asked the question and when I replied "fine" said "that's an improvement over last time" . I didn't even ask what that meant. When I asked directly how the disease would progress if we didn't find something thaht worked, the doc said in 6 months (aug 07) you will be feeling really bad and by the end of the year you will be dead. Interesting....they have never mentioned hospice, end of life planning - directives, wills etc...... I wonder when I will hear about that??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jill,

I stumbled on to your blog and just want to tell you I am sorry to know the struggle is not yet over for you and the cancer demon is fighting will all its power.

You have such a positive attitude and I totally admire that.

Peggy